Friday, April 10, 2009

Heart Transplant

I wouldn't go so far as to say my upbringing in the JC Heights was idyllic in the Martha Stewart sense. But, the memories of playing with neighborhood friends like the La Sala's, buying cigarettes for our little old Polish neighbor, and cruising Laidlaw Avenue during hot summer nights always brings out the nostalgic side in me. 

When you call someplace home for so long, it's hard to shake the core of who you are and how that environment has shaped you. I moved from point A to B hoping that a change of scenery and a less frenetic pace would be the miracle cure to 3 decades of toxic city living. I arrived on the island ready to claim my new lease on life only to realize I was very, very far from home. There are no drive bys or gang bangs,  and their idea of police brutality is to give out J walking tickets to the elderly. Italian food comes in the form of Pizza Hut and driving at the projected speed limit is strictly enforced. 

And while i'd say my life here in Hawaii has been nothing short of idyllic, i'd still give anything for a Fiore's ham and mozz sandwich from Hoboken and a big hug from my mom. Have you ever flown the coop? Thinking about? Inquiring minds want to know so please, do tell...

This is dedicated to my good friend Claro- thanks for your post. It's all about the full circle! JC here we come!! (eventually, of course!)

2 comments:

  1. i say no worries..do what makes u happy.. YESS! i've commented on all your blogs muwahhahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,

    I read your posts... It sounds like you miss Jersey City... We miss you too. I'm going to post a few pictures so you can feel like you're back here...

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete