Monday, May 25, 2009

Help wanted...

Psych nursing has taught me an invaluable lesson that i not only apply to delusional schizoaffective patients but to the people i surround myself with everyday like my family, co-workers, and friends. And that golden nugget of information is this.....NEVER tell a crazy person that they're crazy. More times than not- you'll probably ensue some sort of violent reaction or cause further emotional breakdown just by stating the obvious. Trust me, refuting the fact that an 83 year old pineapple farmer from Molokai is not President Obama's step brother from Kenya- only puts you in harms way. Just like telling your 40 year old girlfriend that indeed, her married boyfriend is only using her for a booty call lends to the demise of your friendship. The fact is, the truth hurts....

So, unless i've got my amazing psych staff ready for a takedown with an ample supply of IM Haldol and Ativan handy...you will never hear me dispute what's truth to you. We all have things we need to believe in so who am i to rain on your parade? When people come to me for advice- i size them up for how much of the truth they can handle and take it from there. What i've found works best with psychotic patients works just as well with friends and that is...a polite smile and an encouraging nod go a long way!!! What's your best advice? Do tell...

1 comment:

  1. This is so true and insightful. I will definitely apply it to my encounters with the sane and not so sane. =) I think I often share the truth (or at least my perspective of the truth) too freely. blog on sis. =)Regine

    ReplyDelete