Friday, July 3, 2009

The good fight

Always a city girl at heart, my move to the islands proved to be more challenging than I expected. Gone is the lightening speed in which the northeast moves with an abrupt switch in gear to what can only be described as a geriatric gallop. No rush, no fuss, and certainly no expletives or inappropriate gestures while driving- i found myself completely unfamiliar and uncomfortable with my new surroundings. For the first 2 years of living on Oahu, I often asked myself what the hell was i thinking? The environment in which i left to the one i now call home are extreme polar opposites. And instead of warming up to my sunny digs, i adamantly refused to buy into the peace that a tranquil existence affords.  Filled with impatience, potty mouth, and Jersey pride...i was NOT going to change. 

Fast forward to 3 years later and the battle still rages on. However, with less fuel in the tank the fight has proved to be exhausting. Instead of continuing to stave off the inevitable, i decided to investigate what the big freaking deal was about positive thinking, yoga, and meditation. So far, here's the scoop: chronicling my adventures via this blog has been more therapeutic than a trip to the therapist. I've found that it's much harder to turn off and tune out the world if you don't quiet your thoughts; that being genuinely happy is a choice that requires effort and patience; and that growth does happen when you stop fighting it. 

So, is this city chic ready to tap out? Hell no!! Despite a new found love for yoga, i can't help but to detest the middle aged yogite wanna be's whose incessant chatter messes with my namaste. Please..don't make me hurt you, bitches!  

No comments:

Post a Comment